Presidents’ Day falls on the third Monday in February . This American holiday was originally established in 1885 to recognize President George Washington’s birthday (which is actually February 22nd). Today, Presidents’ Day is recognized as a day to celebrate all of the U.S. presidents past and present. To celebrate Presidents in the movies, we’ve put together our top 10 list of Presidential movies.
1. Lincoln (2012) – Directed and produced by Steven Spielberg, Lincoln stars Daniel Day Lewis as Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards and Daniel Day Lewis wont the Golden Globe for Best Actor (Drama). The film has also been nominated for tweleve Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor.
2. Air Force One (1997) – Harrison Ford plays President of the United States in this action-thriller film directed by Wolfgang Petersen.
3. Night at the Museum (2006) – This might not be a film that comes to mind when you think of Presidential movies, but Robin Williams does an excellent job playing the wax model of Theodore Roosevelt.
4. Hyde Park on Hudson (2012) – Bill Murray plays Franklin D. Roosevelt in this film based on the private journals and diaries of Margaret Suckley. The film takes place in June 1939 and features the visit King George VI and his wife, Queen Elizabeth and their visit to the United States.
5. Frost/Nixon (2008) – Directed by Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon is a historical drama based on a play of the same name. The film follows the Watergate scandal and features Frank Langella as the former United States President Richard Nixon.
6. JFK (1991) – Oliver Stone directed this political thriller examining the events leading up to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
7. Nixon (1995) – Anthony Hopkins plays the role of President Richard Nixon in this biographical film directed by Oliver Stone.
8. W. (2008) – Another Presidential film produced and directed by Oliver Stone, W. is based on the life and presidency of George W. Bush. Josh Brolin plays George W. Bush.
9. Amistad (1997) – A historical drama directed by Steven Spielberg features Anthony Hopkins as the John Qunicy Adams and Nigel Hawthrone as Martin Van Buren.
10. Thirteen Days (2000) – Covering the Cuban Missile Crisis, this docudrama was directed by Roger Donaldson. Bruce Greenwood plays John F. Kennedy. Kevin Costner also stars in the film.
What are some of your favorite Presidential themed films?